Monday 12 March 2018

Identities: Identity & Film blog task


1) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.
1 - My name is Muna
2 - I am 17
3 - I am friendly
4 - I have one sister
5 - I am weird
6 - I am funny
7 - I like pizza
8 - I am a Muslim
9 - I am a Pentatonix fan
10 - I am a Marvel fan
11 - I am a student at Greenford
12 - I am always tired
13 - I am going to finish Alevels
14 - I am going to start University
15 - I am planning to go to Sussex16 - I am a female
17 - I am short
18 - I am bad at History
19 - I enjoy spending time with friends
20 - I enjoy social media




2) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

Social groups
  • My name is Muna
  • I am 17
  • I have one sister
  • I am a student at Greenford
  • I am a female
  • I am short

Ideologies

  • I am a Muslim 
 Interests

  • I like pizza
  • I am a Pentatonix fan
  • I am a Marvel fan
  • I enjoy spending time with friends
  • I enjoy social media
 Ambitions

  • I am going to finish Alevels
  • I am going to start University
  • I am planning to go to Sussex
 Self-evaluations

  • I am friendly 
  • I am weird
  • I am funny
  • I am always tired
  • I am bad at History


3) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson or simply choose your favourite film if you weren't present). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?
Thor franchise (Marvel)
- I think this choice of film shows that I am the type of person that likes to enjoy themselves and since the Marvel cinematic universe is basically revolves around that that fits my personality. Since there is comedy within each film and each character has some comedic element to it I feel like I can relate as I like to see myself as a funny person thus its also a source of entertainment.

4) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film:
  • Wilde (1997, dir. Brian Gilbert)
  • Philadelphia (1993, dir. Jonathan Demme)
  • The Wedding Banquet (1993, dir. Ang Lee)
  • The Kids are Alright (2010, dir. Lisa Cholodenko)
  • Pride (2014, dir. Matthew Warchus)
How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?
- In these trailers LGBT identities are constructed in a way that makes them look like outcast and that they are widely unaccepted by society however audiences are encouraged to respond to these representation by seeing that there is nothing wrong with them and that they are to be seen as an equivalent in society.

 5) How have representations of LGBT issues changed in recent years? What examples from across the media (not just film) can you provide to support this view?
 - I feel like with this generation, LGBT issues are more important and widely accepted. There have been films that have been popular in recent years that focus on LGBT themes such as moonlight. There have also been a lot of social media influencers that are very popular that identify with the LGBT community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NDM case study Task 1: Media Magazine research

The first research task for your New/Digital Media independent case study is to use the Media Magazine archive. This is an invaluable re...